A big part of the Recruitment Workflow configuration is the Hiring Manager Settings, which determine the influence your hiring managers can have on the applications and the role that they play in the process.
The Hiring Manager settings allow you to specify exactly what the Hiring Manager (HM) can do or see within the workflow, including how they communicate, how they transition and how they provide feedback. Within each stage, you will be able to control their ability to:
- See Applications at a given Status
- Progress Applications at a given Status
- Transition Applications from one Stage to another
- Schedule Interviews by creating Actions or Interview Slots
- Reject Applications at a given Status
- Add Notes against an Application at a given Status
To edit Hiring Manager Settings for a given stage, scroll down to the stage and open the Hiring Manager Settings section.
Hiring Manager Stage Settings
Within each stage, you will find some stage settings which apply only to Hiring Managers. This can include stage transitions, we well as the ability to move to other roles in the workflow. If its an action stage, there are also settings for creating and managing interviews.
To make any changes to this section, click Edit Hiring Manager Stage Settings to see the options available.
If editing an Application Stage:
- Stage Transitions - These are the stages in which the Hiring Manager can move the application TO, from the current stage. The more options you make available to them, the more flexibility in the workflow the Hiring Manager will have.
Hint - If operating on a feedback only model, you may not want the hiring manager to have any available transitions. However, if HMs are involved in shortlisting and arranging their own interviews, you will need to allow them to transition to the appropriate stages.
- Move Applications to Other Roles - This setting allows the HM to move the applicant to a role which they maybe more suitable for. If active, it will allow them to chose from other roles in which they have access to and are permitted to create applications for, based on the recruitment workflow settings.
If editing an Action Stage:
In addition to Allow users to move applications to other roles in this workflow, Action stages have several other options for you to configure:
- Allow users to create slots - This setting allows your HMs to create Interview Slots for the given action type.
- Allow users to see and select slots - This gives your HMs the ability to book Candidates against specific Interview Slots.
Hint - When configuring action stages, consider if you will be using interview slots and if your HMs will be involved in booking interviews. These options are all linked, so should either be all active or all inactive, based on how much involvement you want the HMs to have.
If editing a Placement Stage:
For placement stages, you need to consider the following options:
- Stage Transitions - Whilst the placement stage may be the final one in your workflow, you should still consider any transitions, especially if you want the ability to move backwards in the process. This can be useful if the applicant is inadvertently progressed to this stage.
- Allow users to move without creating placements - This option allows the HM to move the candidate to this stage of the process, but will not force them to create the offer now. This option gives your HMs the freedom to progress a Candidate to the Placement stage without having to input the offer details straight away, meaning they can return to the task later.
- Allow users to create placements - This setting gives the HM the option to create the placement now, if they are involved in triggering the offer process.
Hint - Any placements created by the HM will trigger an approval process before they are available to the candidate, so you can still control the information being provided.
As well as the Stage Settings, you also need to configure the Stage Options. This is where you can control exactly what the HM can do from each individual status or outcome of the action. These options will be different based on whether it is an application or action stage, but ultimately, gives you the flexibility to configure as required.
For each status / outcome, you can click into each one and see the following options:
- Show to Hiring Manager - This controls whether any applications at this status are visible to Hiring Managers. Once active, this option will make the rest of the options available for this status.
Hint - If the Hiring Manager can not see applications at this status, they will also not be able to select the status. Keep this in mind as you configure each status - if the HM needs to be able to pick the status, you need to ensure that Show to Hiring Manager is set for that status.
- Allow editing of available fields and add comments - This determines whether the HM can edit any basic information against the application and add notes whilst at this status.
- Allow Action Dates to be changed - This option allows the HM to change action dates once the interview has been booked. Only appears on action stages.
- Allow status to be updated - When the application is at this status, this determines whether the HM can update it or not.
- Allow this status to be selected - This determines if the HM can pick this status when within the workflow.
Hint - Allow status to be updated and allow status to be selected control how and when the hiring manager can progress the application. These settings work in tandem, so you need to ensure that the HM can update the current status and select the intended one when configuring your workflows.
- Force Comments - This options becomes available when allowing HMs to select this status and will force them to record any feedback or notes as part of the process.
- Allow transition to other stages - Similar to allow status to be updated, this option will control whether the HM can transition to another workflow stage from this status. If not, they will need to change the status first, before transitioning.
- Allow Hiring Manager to contact candidates. This option displays the Email/SMS button within the Hiring Manager portal for those Applications at this status. Once ticked you'll also be able to dictate whether the Hiring Manager can edit the content of the email or upload attachments.
Using a combination of the status settings and the stage options, you can control what the HM is able to do and see at each point of the recruitment workflow. You will need to work your way through each individual setting to ensure that it is set up correctly. Please note that any changes, as soon as the workflow is saved, will be made in LIVE and impact on any vacancies assigned to the workflow.