Mail merging to candidates, companies and contacts within Eploy is a fantastic time saving tool, allowing you to send multiple correspondences at once. The key to using the mail merge tool effectively is developing the right templates. The templates will include all the information that you want to put across to your mass audience, whether you are distributing a company newsletter to existing clients, encouraging sales from contacts or prompting candidates to register/submit timesheets.
The Template Editor
You can create, manage and amend your mail merge templates within Eploy, using the template editor.
Note: Only users with the correct permissions have access to the template editor.
The editor itself can be found under the Admin from the Eploy main menu. From here, you can;
- Create a New Template - To create a new template, select New from the Eploy tool bar
- View/edit existing templates - To edit, click into the title of the template.
When creating a new template, the first field to complete is Create template for merging to: this determines what the template is used for and where in the system it will be accessible from– select the required option from the drop down list.
Making the right selection here is crucial;
- Company/Contact – If the template will be used when contacting companies or their contacts.
- Candidate – Used when contacting candidates
- Correspondence – Available when sending from View – Correspondence
- Users – Set up when contacting other standard user, client users or vendor users
- References – Used when contacting the referees provided by the candidates
- Vendors – Used when contacting vendors assigned to the vacancy
- Invoices – Templates can be set up when sending invoices via email
Note: Depending on which option is selected, different merge fields will be made available. For example, ‘Invoice ID’ is only available when creating Invoice templates.
Once you have made your selection, click Next: the next screen is the Template Editor.
Title - This is the name of the template and will be the name of the template to select from the Choose Template drop down box when you are creating your merge email
Subject – Text entered here will appear in the subject line of the email that is sent out to your selected recipients
Template Type – This is your chosen option from the previous screen. This is no longer editable. To change the template type, you need to cancel the template and start the process again
Correspondence Type to Auto Select: Setting the Correspondence type here will auto select the type when applying the template. Once the mail merge email has sent, the Correspondence Type is displayed in the ‘Activity (last 30)’ section of the record summary, so you can quickly see what has been sent out. This is commonly used for Job Offer Letters – you may have several templates set up for job offer letters that all differ, but have the same correspondence type – ‘Candidates – Job Offer’
Insert Merge Fields - This drop down box is used when constructing the body of the email. When inputting text into the text editor, select the merge field from the drop down list, place the cursor where you wish to insert the merge field, and use the + icon to add the merge field to the body of the text within the text editor screen. To remove the field, simply delete using backspace.
Insert Custom Fields – This option is only available if you have any custom fields within Eploy. Custom fields can then be selected and added in the same process as inserting regular merge fields.
Attach Files – An attachment can be sent out with your mail merge, adding it here will mean that you do not have to add it each time you send the template. Before you will be able to attach a file, you will need to input the mandatory fields (Title & Template Content) as the template will save when uploading.
Attach / Insert Image Files – As with any text editor within Eploy, in order for images to appear correctly in the template, the image must be saved as a file and attached using the Insert link. In the same way that you insert a merge field, place the cursor where you would like the image to be and select Insert. Once you have uploaded the file, you will have the option to insert the image file where required
Template Content – This would be the body of the email sent out in the merge.
It is not recommended to paste into the text editor, so either build the email within Eploy or paste into Notepad first to remove any underlying formatting before copying into the text editor. You can then re-apply your desired formatting. The reason for this is that the text editor will only support web friendly HTML tags.
Note: Please refer to the Using the Text Editor within Eploy guide for more advice and best practices using this tool.
The text editor comes with all of the normal formatting tools found in most Word processing tools to allow you design your template. Hovering over each Icon will bring up a description.
Template Views – You are able to view the body of the template in three different modes;
- Normal will allow you edit the text within the template, along with any additional formatting.
- HTML is available if you wish to change the code of the template, although this is not recommended unless you are an experienced HTML user. Eploy do not provide HTML support.
- Preview will show you exactly how the email will be displayed, particularly useful if you have edited within the HTML option.
Adding Hyperlinks to your Templates
Many templates are set up with hyperlinks, so that when the merge is sent out, the recipient can easily click into the email and be redirected to certain websites or view social media content. The most efficient way to set up the hyperlinks would be first to design your template in full, so all of the images are in the correct place.
Once you have your images in place, highlight the image that you wish to add the hyperlink too and select Insert Hyperlink,
The Hyperlink Properties pop-up window will then appear. Within this window, you with be able to input the specifics of the hyperlink. The most important options are the URL and the Target;
- The URL is the webpage that you wish to link to; when you input this, the ‘Type’ will automatically update. In the instance that it doesn’t please select the relevant type from the drop down list
- The Target will determine where the new link opens when selected. If you wish the link to open in a new window, the same window, the topmost window or the parent, select the option from the drop down list
- Click OK to confirm the hyperlink.
Once you have designed your template, inserted your hyperlinks and are happy with the content, click Save. This template will now be available to merge to the record type that has been selected.
Hint: When trying to use the template, if it is not available to load at the mail merge screen, then an invalid merge field has been selected within the template.
Checking Available Merge Fields
To test which merge fields are available when merging to different record types, select Mail Merge from the area that you wish to test. For example, to see what fields are available to placed candidates, you can select Mail Merge from within Placements. Then select a candidate and Merge to Email.
Once in the text editor, use the Insert Merge Fields drop down box. The options displayed with in the box will be tailored to only those that are available.
Note: It may be worth having this screen open on a different window (Select ‘File – New Window’) when designing your templates to ensure only available merge fields are included.
Exclude from Activity
There may be an occasion that you wish to send out a mail merge but for it not to be recorded within the Activity section of each record. This can be controlled by the Correspondence Type and the Exclude from Activity check box.
Note: To edit correspondence types, you need to have the correct permissions.
Creating the Correspondence Type
To create an correspondence type;
- Select Admin – Drop Down Lists from the Eploymenu
- From the resulting drop down, select Correspondence Types.
- To edit an existing Correspondence Type, click into the record description.
- To create a new type, click New from the Eploy tool bar.
- With the record, you can set the business area, the description, the order number and to exclude from activity.
- The Business Area drop down is to be amended as appropriate
- The description is what the correspondence type will appear as.
- The order number is where the type will appear in the drop down list – Leaving this blank will auto populate to alphabetical order.
- The Exclude from Activity checkbox will determine whether any correspondence with this type appears in the activity log of a recipient. If you don’t want the any mail merges with this type to appear, tick this box.